As a singer you have to be able to control your anxiety, it’s not so easy but it’s very necessary. It’s so easy to sing in front of People you know like Friends, Family and probably sing in your Home Church but imagine you singing in front of a great Crowd that don’t even know you or probably they do, but you find it so hard to control your anxiety. Here are some tips that can help you control your anxiety:
1) BE PREPARED:
A lot of anxiety can come from not knowing your songs properly. If you are well practised and fully prepared, this will help boost your confidence before you perform live.
But also remember that mistakes happen. I have made a lot of mistakes as a singer and it didn’t kill me, somehow it made me stronger and made me to prepare more.
2) GET OUT AND PERFORMED MORE OFTEN:
One of the best ways to get over stage fright is to face it head on. Get up at karaoke, family gatherings, open mic nights. Perform as much as possible so that you can get used to being on stage. The more you get used to dealing with your feelings of anxiety head on, the better you will be with dealing with them.
3) PRACTISE CONTROLLED BREATHING AND MEDITATION: Practice controlled breathing, meditation, biofeedback, and other strategies to help you relax and redirect your thoughts when they turn negative. It is best to practice some type of relaxation technique every day, regardless of whether you have a performance, so that the skill is there for you when you need it.
4) SHIFT YOUR FOCUS OF YOURSELF: Most times our anxiety comes from focusing so much attention on ourselves, remember that you are trying to minister to someone and change someone’s Life, shift the focus of yourself.
5) BE POSITIVE: A great way to learn how to get over stage fright, is to be positive with yourself. Talk “you” up to “you”. Tell yourself that you’re going to do a great job and that the audience will love you. Compliment yourself on the hard work you put in to get to this point – and believe it.
If you are projecting self confidence, the audience will believe it – and you will start to too.
6) AVOID FEAR OF BEING JUDGED:
Far and away the most common reason that people feel like they are unable to talk in public is the fear of being judged. Many people find that they have this overwhelming fear that if they say something, others will judge them. It’s not always that overt – meaning, you can have this fear without necessarily thinking about this specific issue – but anxiety causes many people to worry about how they’re seen in social situations, and whether it’s at work or when you’re out with others there’s often this overwhelming fear that comes from the idea that others can judge you
7) EXERCISE REGULARLY: Choose non-competitive exercise and set reasonable goals. I don’t do this often but I realize that exercise can help you get over anxiety.
8) BE EARLY: This one may seem obvious, but being late is one of the easiest ways to make your anxiety skyrocket. Being right on time is one of the best ways to overcome anxiety, when am to minister I really try to be early, it keeps me in a relaxed state.
I hope this helped guys? 😁 just in case I left out some other tips please leave a comment below on tips to get over anxiety while singing.
You can check my cover song “Trust In You” by Lauren Daigle